Principal threats to migratory birds and vultures in the Mediterranean include illegal killing and poisoning, collisions with power lines and wind turbines, and livestock carcasses loaded with dangerous veterinary drugs.
We aim to improve bird habitats and minimise or eliminate the intentional and accidental killing of priority bird species from these causes by:
- developing research to support action and influence policies and strategies
- raising awareness amongst stakeholders about priority issues
- developing the capacity of local authorities and civil society to play an active role at national level
- advocating establishment of national policies and legislation
- implementing local activities to minimise threats in the most problematic spots
Activities focus on areas where the threats are most acute and will be scaled up to regional level.
Focus on one of our partners
At the heart of all our work are passionate people dedicated to delivering effective and lasting conservation. These inspirational partners are our greatest asset.
Tassos ShialisBirdLife Cyprus
MAVA allocation: CHF 8.4 million
Total budget: CHF 12.9 million
Co-funding: CHF 4.5 million