West Africa is experiencing considerable expansion in offshore oil and gas exploration which present both a significant development opportunity and potentially serious risks to people, economy and environment if not properly managed.
Our aim is to encourage the sustainable use of marine resources and manage and reduce the environmental risks of offshore oil and gas exploration by:
- developing scientific research and environmental monitoring
- building management capacity and awareness amongst decision-makers and civil society
- developing response plans for offshore pollution, including early warning and environmental control systems
- monitoring and strengthening regulation of offshore activities
- strengthening Corporate Social Responsibility
Our priority countries are Mauritania, Senegal, Guinea Bissau and Sierra Leone.
MAVA has allocated €1,080,000 annually to this Action Plan.
Additional co-funding is needed to ensure our partners’ work continues when our grant-making ends in 2022.