Global Green Finance Index third edition publishedMarch 29, 2019
Amsterdam and London continue to lead the latest global rankings of green financial centres, according to the latest edition of the Global Green Finance Index. Copenhagen, Zurich and Paris are close behind.
The Global Green Finance Index (GGFI), supported by MAVA, is published every six months and ranks global financial centres according to the depth and quality of their green finance offerings. The highlights of this new report:
* Amsterdam came first for depth, with Zurich and Copenhagen equal second. London dropped to fifth place
* In the quality rankings, London and Paris retained the leading two places
* In North America, Montreal came first for depth and San Francisco first for quality, although Canadian centres outperformed the US
* In Asia/Pacific, Shanghai came first for depth, and Sydney took the top place for quality
* Casablanca, São Paulo, and Pr ague topped the rankings for both depth and quality in their regions
*The biggest improvers were San Francisco, Toronto, and Vienna, which moved up five or more places in the depth index. Munich, Copenhagen, Toronto, and Madrid moved up five or more places for quality
* Renewable energy investment, sustainable infrastructure finance, and green bonds remained the areas of most interest to finance professionals.
GGFI 3 includes a special supplement on fossil fuel disinvestment, which looks at additional survey data and green and brown financing data in financial centres. Main findings:
* Some financial centres have a high level of exposure to fossil fuel activities and are most at risk from a future deflation of the ‘carbon bubble’
* There is no clear link between a financial centre’s green finance reputation and its fossil fuel activities
* There is support for policy interventions to facilitate fossil fuel disinvestment, with preferred solutions including regulatory disincentives around carbon, carbon pricing, and mandatory disclosure.
Further analysis of the data and trends in green finance development can be found in the full GGFI 3 report.